Sunday, July 7, 2013

Disabled, A Turn Off Or Turn On?

On Fridays I often frequent Japan Arcade in downtown Los Angeles. I have checked out the little bar that is at X-Lanes, the bowling alley that was supposed to open years ago, but just opened months ago, lol. The first time in my life, a guy I didn't know bought me a drink a couple weeks ago, but he was there with his wife. It was merely to continue the conversation that we were having about neurology, that came up because I was in a wheelchair. Aside from that, I have not really had a guy purchase me much of anything unless we were dating, or he was a good friend, the kind that I would pay for him when I had been working.

There is a semi-regular who goes to the arcade now who is mostly paraplegic, but it's permanent for him. He had a motorcycle accident. He can move his left leg some, but not much. I usually become wheelchair bound after hours of walking about. It was the second time we ran into each other and both times we happened to be in wheelchairs. He showed a definite interest in me.

When I am out of my chair, I get attention decently enough. As soon as I get in the chair, the attention I get is different, though. People part, they try to offer help, they are stunned, they stare, and other things like that. Which brings to light the question of, is it more common for disabled to date other disabled people?

Perhaps it is less intimidating to try to get my attention because I am in a wheelchair?

Yet, the entire situation could be because I was the only girl there that shows up regularly when he has gone there on Fridays. So is it because it is a small pond to fish, and he is the only guy there who doesn't care about the chair, or isn't too shy to flirt with me?

Another guy seemed to not care about my chair. I hate to say his directness was very extreme. I was trying to get one of my guy friends to pull me into a conversation or something, but none of them did, they all found the situation funny that this guy was wanting to play all these games with me. King of Fighters, which I am not too good at, especially given he has played for years, and KOF13 was my first KOF. Then we played Samurai Showdown that got selected somehow accidentally in a NeoGeo cabinet. He was asking if he beat me if he would win a kiss, and I was trying to explain that I didn't know him, so I was sorry, but no. But, alas, I beat him. Go figure.

Then we played Garou Mark of the Wolves, but the buttons were messed up, so he kept beating me. Instead of LP HP LK HK (light punch, hard punch, light kick, hard kick), it was LP LK HP and then some sort of sweeping move that was baffling me. Eventually I just gave up using hard kick, which sucks not having when playing with B. Jenet, and kicked his ass. Then he had to go with his friends, and I gave him my number, simply because I don't think I will have a way to pay my phone bill...

A cell phone is sort of needed for the ACE of Ventura program. You get calls anytime from 8AM to 6PM setting up appointments, and you need GPS to get to some of the craziest places. I want to plant my face into a wall several times out of frustration. But, my cell phone worked early Saturday morning at 2AM when he called me twice and I shyly pretended that I didn't notice it.

In other more interesting news, for L.A. there was a huge fireworks accident in Simi Valley, with a huge explosion with fireworks going into the crowd of people. Seeing that on the news made me feel a bit better about missing out on fireworks.

I have a playlist that I play for writing my blog, as I was listening to a song by Shiny Toy Guns, I just recalled, there was another guy who seemed to be somewhat flirtatious with me upon hearing my new-to-him single status. But, it could all be in my head.

He is a really cool guy who moved away quite some time ago. We talked for a while last night, and it was nice. He said that I can still read and write, so I have that going for me, and it is very right. I have a novel series in the works, aside to the silly screenplays that I have been tinkering with. I have always enjoyed writing, even since I was taught how to do it.

But even with that, mentally and physically, it was too much for M. I fell in love only to be hurt. I wonder if I bore all my mental problems out openly if guys would even bother speaking to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment